Is It For Me? Course Prerequisites:
Develop the knowledge and skills to operate safely and independently in the hills in winter. The Ice Factor operates in classic west of Scotland mountainous terrain such as Glencoe and Nevis range. Perfect for those summer climbers and hill walkers wanting to get started on the journey to winter mountaineering.
To get the most out of the course we recommend that you have summer hill walking experience and have a level of fitness that will allow you to undertake two consecutive days on the hill. Winter hill walking is arduous so a good level of fitness will allow you to cope with what at times can be harsh and physically demanding conditions.
- 2 days
- We would recommend that you arrive no later than 4pm the night before your course to check in with your instructor. Please note that your instructor must check over your kit the night before your expedition.
Throughout this course the Ice Factors experienced instructors will introduce you to a range of core skills such as Ice Axe arrest and self belaying and avalanche awareness. such that will enable you to enjoy and move about the UK’s mountains in winter conditions competently and confidently.
The main topics to be covered are:
- Selection and organisation of personal kit appropriate to winter hill walking
- Personal movement skills on snow, including kicking steps and using the ice axe for walking, self-belay, cutting steps, and self-arrest
- Use of crampons in ascent/descent
- Emergency procedures
- Avalanche awareness and safe route choice
- Core techniques of winter navigation
The programme is fairly flexible taking into account individual needs and aims, weather, etc
How much does it cost?
Throughout this Winter we are running several Open courses to allow you to book on and learn as part of a group. These courses will run on a student instructor ratio of no more than 1:6 and are a great way to learn develop your winter skills.
- The cost per person is £185pp
- Please be aware we require a minimum of 2 people to run this course
Ready to take your mountaineering skills to the next level?
Simply book now or if you would prefer to speak to a human, call us on 01855 831100
If you require further information, please use the enquiry form below.