Is It For Me? Course Prerequisites:
Want to brush up on your navigation before the winter season starts or are you after helpful tips and tricks to help you deal with the white room and make you a more confident and safer navigator.
This two day course is aimed at fully winterising your navigation skills. Here on the West coast of Scotland we have some of the most varied and challenging navigational terrain anywhere in the UK our expert instructors are used to dealing with whatever the weather throws at them and are keen to pass this knowledge onto you. This course offers a much more comprehensive look at winter navigation than our others and is perfect for people looking to take their skills to the next level.
To get the most out of the course we recommend that you have some summer and winter hill walking experience. This course assumes basic competence as a summer navigator and winter hill walker (including having used an axe and crampons). The course will be practical and hill based but may start with confirmation of core skills locally.
This course will introduce you to the skills required for confident and competent navigation in winter poor visibility conditions.
Course Content & Costs
You will usually be in a group of no more than six with one instructor. Meeting your instructor on the first evening provides an opportunity to discuss everyone’s experience and aspirations enabling the instructor to plan the programme based around these. The main topics to be covered are:
- Ground to map and map to ground interpretation skills including contour interpretation
- Use of compass for taking and following bearings
- Distance measuring
- Navigation strategies for poor visibility conditions
- Relocation skills
- Route planning to avoid hazards such as avalanche prone slopes and hidden water hazards
- A limited amount of technical input on walking with ice axe and crampons where required
The programme is fairly flexible taking into account individual needs and aims, weather, etc.
Course Dates and Prices
We are running open courses over the following dates this winter these are a great way to learn with a group to improve your navigation and are at a maximum instructor to student ratio of 1:6.
These courses need a minimum of 2 people to run and cost £185 per person
- December 11th – 12th
- January 7th – 8th
If these dates don’t suit, or you want a specifically tailored course we can offer private guiding to suit your need (Please see private guiding page for rates)
Ready to take your winter navigation skills to the next level?
Complete the enquiry form below or call us on: 01855 831100
Teaching, Coaching and Development
Instruction, Coaching and Development are provided by Ice Factor Ltd.
Our objectives include;
- To provide training and tuition to the public in relation to mountain sports, including mountaineering, ice climbing, rock climbing, hill walking and other affiliated mountain sports.
- To foster and develop amongst the public, skills in relation to mountain sports
- To promote safety and awareness of mountain environments to the public
- To provide education to the public in relation to mountain sports