Is It For Me? Course Prerequisites:
Develop the knowledge and skills to operate safely and independently in the hills in winter. The Ice Factor operates in classic west of Scotland mountainous terrain such as Glencoe and Nevis range. Perfect for those summer climbers and hill walkers wanting to get started on the journey to winter mountaineering.
To get the most out of the course we recommend that you have summer hill walking experience and have a level of fitness that will allow you to undertake two consecutive days on the hill. Winter hill walking is arduous so a good level of fitness will allow you to cope with what at times can be harsh and physically demanding conditions.
- 2 days
- We would recommend that you arrive no later than 4pm the night before your course to check in with your instructor. Please note that your instructor must check over your kit the night before your expedition.
- 12th and 13th Jan
- 9th and 10th Feb
- 9th and 10th March
If these dates don’t suit, or you want a specifically tailored course we can offer private guiding to suit your need (Please see the private guiding page for rates).
Enquire today to book this course by calling 01855 831100 or email email@example.com
Throughout this course the Ice Factors experienced instructors will introduce you to a range of core skills such as Ice Axe arrest and self belaying and avalanche awareness. such that will enable you to enjoy and move about the UK’s mountains in winter conditions competently and confidently.
The main topics to be covered are:
- Selection and organisation of personal kit appropriate to winter hill walking
- Personal movement skills on snow, including kicking steps and using the ice axe for walking, self-belay, cutting steps, and self-arrest
- Use of crampons in ascent/descent
- Emergency procedures
- Avalanche awareness and safe route choice
- Core techniques of winter navigation
- Climb some of Scotland’s most iconic Munro’s
The programme is fairly flexible taking into account individual needs and aims, weather, etc
How much does it cost?
This course runs with a instructor/client ratio of no more than 1:6. Your instructor will speak to you prior to the course to discuss everyone’s aspirations and abilities to allow him to plan the programme around this.
- The cost per person is £200pp
- Please be aware we require a minimum of 2 people to run this course
Ready to take your mountaineering skills to the next level?
Call us on 01855 831100 or please use the enquiry form below.
Booking Terms and Conditions
Whilst every attempt is made to ensure that activities run, occasionally we may need to cancel activities due to dangerous or unsuitable conditions. We will endeavour to give as much notice as is practically possible. Occasionally activities may fail to reach a feasible minimum number. In these circumstances we will ensure you receive at least 7 days notice. In the event of cancellation by us for the above reasons, you will be offered either a full refund or an alternative date for the course.
Booking By Phone:
A deposit of 50% of the course fee is required on booking any course with the balance due 30 day’s prior to the course date. If booking within 30 days the full fee is payable on booking.
Full payment required at the time of booking.