Is It For Me? Course Prerequisites
For the true adventure seeker, every winter Ice Factor instructors provide bespoke snow holing expeditions. It’s the perfect way to spend a winter weekend.
Experience the Scottish mountains at their most remote and beautiful. Based in the West Highlands we have access to some of the most breathtaking hills in Scotland. Depending on conditions we may be based in Glencoe, Creag Meagdaih or Ben Nevis itself. Over the course of two days, we will endeavour to summit a number of Munros while staying in a snow hole in some of the most remote and beautiful areas of Scotland. Your instructor will even bring a dram in order to help pass the night.
This is a proper expedition so we recommend that you have summer hill walking experience and have a level of fitness that will allow you to undertake two consecutive days on the hill. Winter hill walking and in particular, snow holing is arduous so a good level of fitness will allow you to cope with what at times can be harsh and physically demanding conditions and digging the snow hole itself.
- 2 days
- We would recommend that you arrive no later than 4pm the night before your course to check in with your instructor. Please note that your instructor must check over your kit the night before your expedition.
- 1st-3rd Feb
- 22nd-24th Feb
- 15th – 17th March
If these dates don’t suit, this course can be booked as a private guided course.
Enquire today to book this course by calling 01855 831100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The course is designed to introduce you to snow holing and is an amazing way to take you on an expedition through the Scottish Highlands into some of its most remote and interesting areas while developing your core winter skills at the same time. This course is run on a student to instructor ratio of maximum 1:4.
The main topics to be covered are
- Selection and organisation of personal kit appropriate to winter hill walking and snow holing
- How to dig and construct a Snow-hole, personal and group management within a snowhole
- Personal movement skills on snow, including kicking steps and using the ice axe for walking, self-belay, cutting steps, and self-arrest
- Use of crampons in ascent/descent
- Avalanche awareness and safe route choice
- Core techniques of winter navigation
The programme is fairly flexible taking into account individual needs and aims, weather, etc.
How much does it cost?
Throughout the coming season we will be running a number of open courses these will allow you to book on as individuals or a group and join a team of up to 4 people on the course a great way to experience snow holing for the first time.
- This course costs £250 per person
- Please be aware we require a minimum of 2 people to run this course
Interested in taking on this unforgettable adventure?
To make an enquiry simply call us on 01855 831100 or use the enquiry form below.
BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Whilst every attempt is made to ensure that activities run, occasionally we may need to cancel activities due to dangerous or unsuitable conditions. We will endeavour to give as much notice as is practically possible. Occasionally activities may fail to reach a feasible minimum number. In these circumstances we will ensure you receive at least 7 days notice. In the event of cancellation by us for the above reasons, you will be offered either a full refund or an alternative date for the course.
Booking By Phone:
A deposit of 50% of the course fee is required on booking any course with the balance due 30 day’s prior to the course date. If booking within 30 days the full fee is payable on booking.
Full payment required at the time of booking